- Mr. Dempsey served as the vice-president of the Schuylkill Valley Board of Directors during the 1992-93 session and as Board president for fourteen years from 1993-1995 and again from 1998-2009.
- During his tenure, the district saw numerous major improvements, including a new elementary school, new classrooms, science wing, weight room and multipurpose gym additions, and the expansion of the middle school to accommodate an additionalgrade level.
- He coached SV youth basketball for five years and served as the organization’s treasurer for nineteen years.
- Employed by Berks Products Corporation and A.D. Moyer Lumber, Mr. Dempsey is a former associate member of the Board of Directors of the Homebuilders Association of Berks County and was named Associate Member of the Year in 2009.
- He rejoined the SV district Board of Directors in 2016 to fill an absence as a Board appointee and continues to serve the district in that capacity.