- Varsity student-athletes in three sports at SV – Football (captain), wrestling, and golf (captain).
- Schuylkill Valley High School Valedictorian in 1973.
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude from Gettysburg College. Was Phi Beta Kappa and President of Beta Beta Beta (honorary biology fraternity).
- Earned an MBA from Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business. Graduated with High Distinction and was named an Edward Tuck Scholar.
- Married Betsy Garr (SVHS ’74) in 1976. Blessed with four children – Katharine, Elizabeth, Jillian and Thomas – as well as three sons-in-law and nine grandchildren.
- Chairman and CEO of the MassMutual Financial Group.
- Serves on the Boards of Leucadia (investment company) and Lahey Foundation (hospital and clinic). Serves on the advisory boards of The Appalachian Mountain Club and Faithcare (formerly Christian Medical Fellowship).
- Received an Honorary Doctorate in Humanics from Springfield College.