- Served for five years in the US Army Air Force, including three years in Italy during World War II.
- Completed a 4-year college degree from Kutztown State College in 2 ½ years, earning a BS in Secondary Education. Earned a Master’s Degree in Educational Administration from Temple University and a Doctoral Degree in Educational Administration from Lehigh University.
- Served as a History and Government teacher at Schuylkill Valley High School before being promoted to Assistant High School Principal and then High School Principal, a position he held for 14 years.
- Became the first Superintendent of Schuylkill Valley Schools in 1971 and served in this position for six years. During his tenure, he oversaw an upgrade of course curriculum, accreditation by the Middle State Association of Secondary Schools, a work-experience program and the expansion of the district’s athletic program.
- Served as president and member of the Muhlenberg School Board, president of the San Marco Society and a member of the Reading Public Museum Task Force. Was also a trustee of the Reading Area Community College where he chaired the Personnel Committee and served as Chair of the Board of Trustees.
- Was the co-chairman of the 1992 Columbus Quincentennial Celebration for Reading and Berks County.
Authored and published a book of poems entitled Leo Speaks